Paleo Food List
The Paleo Diet (also known as the Caveman Diet) is pretty strict on what foods you should and shouldn’t eat.
The diet is based on the premise that we should eat as our ancestors ate before the advent of agriculture.
Humans have been evolving for millions of years, but have only had approximately 10,000 years to adjust to the influx of grain, dairy, and legumes in our diet. The rising problem of gluten, dairy, and peanut allergies is an indicator that our bodies are not supposed to be ingesting these foods.
The main idea of these foods are: If you can’t pick it from a bush or tree, you shouldn’t eat it. If you can’t pull it out of the ground, you shouldn’t eat it. If you can’t hunt it with a spear, you shouldn’t eat it.
So what are some of the things recommended to eat? This list is by no means complete, but shows that there is no shortage of different types of food available on the Paleo Diet.
Meats (Store-Bought and Game)
• Beef – Steaks, ground beef, veal.
• Pork – Chops, loins.
• Poultry – Chicken, Turkey, Game Hens, Goose, Duck, etc.
• Fish – Salmon, Tuna, Tilapia, Flounder, Bass, Trout, etc.
• Eggs – Chicken, Duck, Goose.
• Organs – Livers, heart, tongues, marrow.
• Shellfish – Abalone, Clams, Mussels, Shrimp, Scallops, Lobster, Crayfish, Crab
• Bison (American Buffalo)
• Specialty Meats – Ostrich, Emu, Kangaroo, Emu, Alligator, Rabbit, Turtle
• Game Meats – Venison, Elk, Caribou, Moose, Rabbit, Squirrel, Wild Boar, Bear, Pheasant, Quail, Dove/Squab, Wild Turkey, Geese
• Apple, Apricot, Avocado
• Banana, Blackberries, Blueberries
• Cantaloupe, Cherries, Cranberries
• Grapefruit, Grapes
• Lemon, Lime
• Passion Fruit, Papaya, Peaches, Pears, Persimmons, Pineapple, Plums, Pomegranate
• Raspberries, Rhubarb
• Artichoke, Asparagus
• Beets, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts
• Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Collards, Cucumber
• Dandelion Greens
• Eggplant, Endive
• Mushrooms, Mustard Greens
• Onions (All Varieties)
• Parsley, Parsnips, Peppers (All Varieties), Pumpkin
• Radish, Rutabaga
• Spinach, Squash (All Varieties), Swiss Chard
• Tomatoes, Turnip Greens, Turnips
• Brazil Nuts
• Hazel Nuts
• Macadamia Nuts
• Pine Nuts
• Pumpkin Seeds
• Sesame Seeds
• Squash Seeds
• Sunflower Seeds