Going Vegetarian? Read This First!
If you are going vegetarian, there are a few essential things that you need to understand in order to maintain optimal health. Meat-less eating is a great way to improve your health, and there are many reasons to decrease your meat consumption… but the problem lies in the fact that many people don’t understand how to plan a healthy, meat-free meal. Here are a few steps to take:
1. Eat a Variety of Fresh Fruits and VegetablesFresh fruits and vegetables have countless nutrients that can support a healthy lifestyle. When you are eating a variety of different fresh foods you will be providing your body with some of the essential amino acids so that your body can construct the protein that it needs.
2. Focus On Green VegetablesAs you are choosing your vegetables at the store, be sure to buy lots of green colored vegetables. The green color indicates that the food is higher in protein, and so eating a variety of green vegetables can be a great way of getting plant protein.
3. Eat Only Whole GrainsOne of the biggest mistakes that people who are going vegetarian make is that they substitute their meat with highly processed junk food. It is better to eat grains that are less refined, because highly refined grains (like white flour) have been stripped of many of their nutrients. Always eat grains in the most natural form possible.
4. Beans and Legumes Are Your Friend!Eating a variety of beans and legumes can be a great way to get plant based protein. I like to eat beans at least once a day, and I often eat them with both lunch and dinner. Try a variety of beans and legumes to get different nutrition from each type.
5. Nuts Are A Great Source Of ProteinEating nuts can be a great way to get plant based protein in your diet, but it is important that you don’t over-do it. Remember that nuts are high in fats and calories, so eat moderately.
These are some basic steps to help you in the process of going vegetarian. Continue to study healthy nutritional habits, and you will be able to create a healthy lifestyle that is meat-free!